Saturday, April 19, 2014

Strawberry Muffins

Hosting a brunch is a popular Easter celebration, and though I'm not hosting this year, I did find a small way to contribute to my family's table - Jumbo Strawberry Muffins. These are an easy and hearty muffin that hold up better than you might think given the water content of the strawberries.

When I started working on this recipe, I turned to one of my favorite recipe websites, Allrecipes. The original strawberry muffin recipe, found here, was a good starting point, but I really try to avoid using oil whenever I can - I find that butter, no surprise, is just better. Better taste. Better crumb. I also like to increase the amount of baking powder and give the muffin a bit more bounce.



Here's what you need:


1 cup butter, melted
1 cup milk, at close to room temp
2 egg

3 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cup fresh strawberries, chopped small

Here's what you do:


Preheat your oven to 375 and prep jumbo muffin tins with either cooking spray or paper liners. I always prefer to use tin liners - less mess and easier removal. This recipe makes 12 muffins.

Combine the butter, milk, and egg, and set it aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, stirring to combine and evenly distribute all of the ingredients.



Gently fold the chopped strawberries into the flour mixture. This is a simple, but really important, step; it makes sure that the chopped strawberries don't stick and clump together. For a great muffin, the strawberries need to be evenly distributed throughout the batter, so gently fold until all of the small bits are coated in the flour mixture.

Add in the milk, butter, and egg mixture and stir to combine.

Spoon the batter into your muffin tins. To top it off, I like to add a generous amount of sparkly sugar sprinkles to the top of each muffin before baking. This gives them more of a bakery, indulgent feel and look really nice. Bake for 25 minutes and let cool in the tins before enjoying.



Variations


Strawberries & Cream Muffins - Follow the recipe above and when the muffins are cooled, cut them in half horizontally and fill with fresh whipped cream before topping with the


No comments:

Post a Comment